Friday, April 28, 2017

Zoonotic Disease, Up Close and Personal




Sometimes our work in public health and our personal health collide.  This month, I tied up my soon-to-be published report of a tickborne illness called babesiosis, and I visited our future home in wooded and beautiful Ithaca, NY for an up close and personal encounter with tickborne disease risk.  

We often joke that my eldest daughter Quinn “turns feral” when she encounters nature.  I love watching her transformation from a quiet, somewhat anxious child into a forest sprite, running through the woods without a care in the world.  Unfortunately, as a parent, I have to consider the risks of this outdoor activity, especially in an area endemic for Lyme, Babesiosis, Powassan Virus, and Anaplasmosis.  On our last day of our upstate NY trip, we took a trip to our future house and its wooded land and pasture. Out of our family of four, only Quinn ended up with a dozen nymph deer ticks on her head and body, presumably because she got closer to nature than the rest of us.  After a lengthy head and body check at the airport before our Sunday evening flight, we felt confidant we’d pulled all the ticks off.  On Thursday, we got a call from her principal at school who reported Quinn had the engorged tick on her ear. We took advantage of a free University of Rhode Island lab service, and, using an emailed picture, they identified it as an adult female deer tick and estimated it had been feeding for 3.5 days.
Specimen discovered on Quinn's ear, under the microscope
Lyme is transmitted by the spirochete Borellia burgdorferi. Its vector is the black legged deer tick, which becomes infected by mammalian hosts such as deer and white-footed mice.  Initially discovered in the 1960’s in Lyme, CT, it is endemic to the upper Midwest and Northeastern US but cases have considerably increased in recent years, both in number and in geographic range (see below).  The causes of this marked uptick (pun intended) are likely multifactorial and include the warming climate and patterns of deforestation, with homes being built closer to wooded tick habitats (more exposure) and breaking up forests (fewer predators to keep down animal reservoirs of Lyme, such as the white-footed mice).

 
 Not surprisingly, these same trends can been seen with other tickborne diseases such as babesiosis, which is the topic of the report that I have been working on.. However, knowing that 20-50% of upstate NY ticks have been found to carry borellia burgdorferi, and that children can develop disabling and chronic symptoms from severe infection, I was most concerned about Lyme.

Lyme disease may develop when people are bit by an infected blacklegged tick that attaches for at least 36 hours. Within 3 to 30 days, individuals may develop early stage infection of a classic erythema migrans rash (bulls-eye in appearance), fatigue, fever, and muscle and joint pain. Some infected individuals do not display early symptoms. If not treated with antibiotics or if an individual does not display early symptoms, people progress to the early disseminated phase of infection, marked by symptoms that may include neurological effects (severe headaches, facial nerve palsy, poor cognition, inflammation of the brain and spinal cord, and/or nerve pain), cardiac effects (inflammation of the lining of the heart), and joint problems (arthritis with severe swelling of large joints). Treatment with antibiotics is usually effective for these severe complications, although there is a lot of controversy about this among the medical community.  The medical literature describes patients that go on to suffer persistent symptoms of late Lyme diseases that have not been shown to be treatable with antibiotics.  

What is a worried parent to do?  Like any good public health practitioner, I first checked the CDC website, which directed me to the 2006 Infectious Disease Society of America 2006 Guidelines. They state prophylactic treatment is warranted when the following criteria are met: 

1.      The tick is indeed a deer tick. Check.
2.      The tick was attached for at least 36 hours. Check.
3.      At least 20% of the ticks in the area are known to carry Lyme.  According to the University of Massachusetts Medical Zoology department surveillance data, exactly 20% of the ticks they have tested from the Ithaca zip code tested positive for Lyme. Check
4.      Treatment can be administered within 72 hours.  Close enough, check.

Next, I looked into having the tick tested. Our new friends at the University of Rhode Island recommended University of Massuchetts Medical Zoology lab for testing the tick. UMass has great marketing for an academic lab, using a branded name “TickReport” with the motto Because of a piece of data is peace of mind. I was a sold customer.  In addition, they boast highly sensitive and specific testing for properly collected ticks, and the test includes internal quality control checks.  We paid $50 and sent our little arthropod off in a ziplock bag on Friday and got the report back on Wednesday, complete with a picture of our tick under the microscope and the full panel of possible diseases:


 
Hooray! Negative for Lyme among other things.  The CDC cautions that one should not equate the negative tick with negative infection because the individual could have had other unrecognized bites.  Also, a positive test does not mean the spirochete was necessary transmitted from tick to human.  I still enjoyed contributing to the lab’s nationwide surveillance efforts.  Our tick joined their sample of 140 ticks from our future zip code, of which 20% were positive for Lyme.   

When I first encountered the harrowingly large tick population surrounding our new house, I felt overwhelmed and disheartened by the fact that enjoyment outdoors could come at a price.  But Prevention is Power, right?  Unfortunately, the prevention of Lyme Disease at a population level involves interventions beyond my control (reduced deforestation, halting globing warming).  However, I can employ the best methods for individual prevention (clothing and hats treated with permethrin, DEET, tick checks including looking in ears) and educate my patients. These ticks don’t know who they are dealing with.
 
Beth Stein


9 comments:


  1. Dear sir...
    i see your blogger blog site..
    I can create blogger blog site
    with 5 image slider
    with 2 navigation menu bar
    with 1 or 2 side bar
    with 5 social buttons
    hire me here--->> https://goo.gl/lrfNp1


    this is some of my works..
    http://androidscreenshots.blogspot.com/
    http://new-health-care-tips.blogspot.com/
    http://novalifestylehomes.blogspot.com/
    http://www.teachertoolbar.com/
    http://soundsofmagic.blogspot.com/
    http://themadhurima.blogspot.com/
    http://ikhonacosmetics.blogspot.com/
    http://www.tabkhjeux.com/
    http://tritechengineers.blogspot.com/
    http://okkomameke.blogspot.com/
    http://showerdoorinstallationnyc.blogspot.com/
    http://www.nyfinishingconstruction.com/
    http://shower-door.blogspot.com/

    these are created by me..
    thank you sir...



    600 Health care Ebook and 20000 articles for only $5
    https://goo.gl/a2YHsz HURRY UP !!
    https://goo.gl/a2YHsz LIMITED TIME OFFER !!
    https://goo.gl/a2YHsz PLEASE SHARE !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this important post. I have read this post very carefully. I am very happy for this post. Please explore more about Writing Medical Fellowship Personal Statements. I am waiting for your next post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My life is beautiful thanks to you, Mein Helfer. Lord Jesus in my life as a candle light in the darkness. You showed me the meaning of faith with your words. I know that even when I cried all day thinking about how to recover, you were not sleeping, you were dear to me. I contacted the herbal center Dr Itua, who lived in West Africa. A friend of mine here in Hamburg is also from Africa. She told me about African herbs but I was nervous. I am very afraid when it comes to Africa because I heard many terrible things about them because of my Christianity. god for direction, take a bold step and get in touch with him in the email and then move to WhatsApp, he asked me if I can come for treatment or I want a delivery, I told him I wanted to know him I buy ticket in 2 ways to Africa To meet Dr. Itua, I went there and I was speechless from the people I saw there. Patent, sick people. Itua is a god sent to the world, I told my pastor about what I am doing, Pastor Bill Scheer. We have a real battle beautifully with Spirit and Flesh. Adoration that same night. He prayed for me and asked me to lead. I spent 2 weeks and 2 days in Africa at Dr Itua Herbal Home. After the treatment, he asked me to meet his nurse for the HIV test when I did it. It was negative, I asked my friend to take me to another nearby hospital when I arrived, it was negative. I was overwhite with the result, but happy inside of me. We went with Dr. Itua, I thank him but I explain that I do not have enough to show him my appreciation, that he understands my situation, but I promise that he will testify about his good work. Thank God for my dear friend, Emma, I know I could be reading this now, I want to thank you. And many thanks to Dr. Itua Herbal Center. He gave me his calendar that I put on my wall in my house. Dr. Itua can also cure the following diseases ... Cancer, HIV, Herpes, Hepatitis B, Inflammatory Liver, Diabetis, Bladder Cancer,Colorectal Cancer,HPV,Breast Cancer,Kidney Cancer,Leukemia,Lun,Fribroid,Infertility,Parkinson's disease,Inflammatory bowel disease ,Fibromyalgia, recover your ex. You can contact him by email or whatsapp, @ .. drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com, phone number .. + 2348149277967 .. He is a good doctor, talk to him kindly. I'm sure he will also listen to you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Collagen Refresh Lemonade by Zenith Labs is a new skincare procedure designed for everyone who is interested to make up for the numerous threats to the skin. Everyone who has a dull, rough, loose and aging skin should add Collagen Refresh Lemonade by Zenith Labs to the skincare routine for better results.

    does collagen refresh lemonade works for skin?

    ReplyDelete
  5. We all understand our food choices and exercise impact our body fat levels, but we also need to understand more about our inner chemistry. As we have all learned the hard way - fat loss is NOT as simple as calories in and calories out!Pure Keto Cleanse

    ReplyDelete
  6. Traditionally the topper for this type of tree is a Christmas star of some sort. The classic home-made version is a cut out star made out of cardboard and wrapped in tin foil. However you can find all kinds of different versions of the xmas star when you go shopping for christmas decorations online - everything from the blinking electronic contraptions to stars made of feathers and tinsel.


    Modern Christmas Tree

    ReplyDelete
  7. Superior Flux Male EnhancementMany of these ingredients may in fact be part of a man's current supplement and diet schedule depending on his current level of nutrition. Products in this category often share more commonality with energy drinks such as Redline than with Penis Enlargement Supplements or Semen Volume Pills. However, this does not mean general libido enhancers can be summarily discounted..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good day to all am From USA..Texas am so happy sharing this great testimony on here, I was diagnose of Stage IV colon cancer.i was checking for solution in the internet then miraculously i came Across Dr Itua herbal center the powerful herbal doctor that Cure Numerous Diseases such as-cancer,Hiv,Herpes,Hpv,diabetes,Lung cancer,Melanoma,Mesothelioma,Multiple myeloma,Neuroendocrine tumors,Alzheimer's disease,Chronic Diarrhea,Copd,Parkinson,Als,Adrenocortical carcinoma Infectious mononucleosis,I contacted him based on the testimonies I saw on the internet, I was cured by him too, kindly contact him today through his email. He can help you. drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com www.drituaherbalcenter.com and his herbal medicines will set you free from any human diseases,all thank you Dr Itua herbal center for your kind help in my life.

    ReplyDelete