Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Carrie Henning-Smith

When did you complete your Fellowship?
2007 - 2009

Where did you complete your Fellowship?
In Milwaukee. I split my time between the Milwaukee County Department on Aging and S.E.T. Ministries.

What are you doing now, and where?
I took a year off after the fellowship to live and work in Shanghai, China. Since returning to the U.S., I have moved to Minneapolis, where I am starting a PhD program in Health Services Research, Policy, and Administration at the University of Minnesota.

How did the Fellowship contribute to your current situation?
It had a huge impact on my current situation. It equipped me with rich skills and experience. More than that, though, it was a time to ask questions and get involved, which helped me know that I wanted to go back to school (to start to seek answers to some of those questions) and definitely helped me in the application process!

Do you have any advice for current Fellows or those interested in the Fellowship?
Make the Fellowship what you want it to be. It's an incredible opportunity to seek out projects that you're interested in and to try out all sorts of things. No other job would allow you that much freedom, so take advantage of it and get involved in as much as you can!
 
What are your main areas of interest within public health?
The social determinants of health, aging and the life course, mental health...

No comments:

Post a Comment